Thanks for reading over this JP,

I don't really understand why you are thinking the schematic file format
> should be modified.
>

> If you want to see a user field always existing in your component editor,
> just add this field name

and a default value in the schematic editor options (Default fields).

> The feature you want is already available since many years in Eeschema.

You can add an MPN field yourself already, the problem is all the external
tooling expects a different convention and it would save people a lot of
time if someone decided on a convention and encouraged it. Eeschema
developers are in the best place to do that.

The reason for the file format discussion is that, to me, the best
convention would be one that allows for multiple manufacturer + MPN pairs
per symbol.

>From the point of view of the *schematic editor*, what is the purpose of
> this field?

It allows the schematic editor to work better together with the existing
external tools.