On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:44 AM, Tomasz Wlostowski
<tomasz.wlostow...@cern.ch> wrote:
> On 10.04.2017 09:18, jp charras wrote:
>> Le 10/04/2017 à 08:39, Nick Østergaard a écrit :
>>> Hi JP,
>>>
>>> Yes I can confirm that it seems to work now, but since you mentioned
>>> that it was not fixed properly yet, I thought it was worth
>>> highlighting in this thread. Are unittests missing here for the
>>> geometry library or is this on a higher level?
>>
>> About SEG class, unittests works.
>>
>> It is more the fact when using a SEG class, you can now modify an other
>> entity without clearly
>> notice in your code the other entity will be modified, by side effect,
>> because now the SEG class
>> stores a reference to the other entity, not a copy of values.
>>
>> It is this side effect I do not like.
>
> Hi JP & Alessandro,
>
> I agree that keeping references to the points in the SEG class is not
> the very best idea. I would roll back to the original SEG class.
>

>> Still remains serious issues in GAL mode about self intersecting and
>> overlapping polygons after
>> creation or edition.
>> These issues exist since the beginning.
>> (They are not too hard to fix, because methods to fix them are written for
>> the legacy mode, but need
>> a better knowledge I have to correctly manage undo/redo on GAL, due to the
>> fact the number of
>> existing or new zones can change after cleaning or editing zones)
>
> I don't think adding automatic zone splitting/merging in the GAL canvas
> (as in the legacy) will fix the problem in the long term, if we take
> into account that we need to import designs done with other tools. All
> of the software I've tried supports overlapping and self-intersecting
> zone outlines - therefore, the files saved by these programs may contain
> zones that Kicad will not handle correctly. Here's the solution I'd propose:
> - overlapping zones: the new connectivity algorithm does that ;-)
> - self-intersecting outlines: split to non-self-intersecting polygon
> when plotting. This way the gerber files exported by Kicad will be
> correct for all possible zone outlines.

I agree with (copying then) splitting self-intersecting zones when plotting;
this is the only simple way to retain the user's original design data while
also meeting the Gerber requirements.

Just for curiosity - do the algorithms know the difference between self-
overlap and self-intersect? For example if we have a snake eating its
tail the result should be a solid ring rather than a ring with a small region
missing due to the overlap region being treated as a hole.

- Cirilo