I think we are using rc in the correct context here.  Our alpha and beta
testing is completely open and continuous thanks to our nightly builds.
We are in feature freeze so no new feature code is being added to KiCad.
 We are in the process of cleaning up a final few bugs before rc1.  If
no bugs were found in rc1 then it would become stable version 5.0.0.
I'm not going to hold my breath on that.  We just don't use showstopper
bugs as our stable release criteria.  If we find UI strings with
spelling errors or other minor polishing errors during rc1, we will fix
them and release an rc2.  I'm not going to release a stable release
version of KiCad with these minor bugs if I can avoid it just to appease
some versioning scheme defined on Wikipedia.  Our current versioning
scheme suits our purposes given our manpower limitations so until I find
a compelling reason to change it, I will keep it the way it is.  Thank
you for your input.

Cheers,

Wayne