One thing that is very inconsistent is that layer settings for plotting
gerbers are saved in the board file (as they should), but settings for the
drill file are saved in the global kicad settings (which means that if i
have two different projects that need different drill settings i need to
remember to change them back and forth). In an ideal world those settings
would be saved in a CAM file with the project, but having them saved in the
board file is the second best.