Playing with the tool some more, I can see that Andrzej is right.  There
are a number of missing features in the polygon tool that exist in the zone
editor.  Adding corners is a large one.

If you have an existing non-copper zone, it seems you can keep it, change
its layer, add cut-outs, etc.  Even duplicate to create a new one.  But you
can't draw a brand new one.

-S