On 03/12/2018 10:23 AM, Jon Evans wrote:
> I have seen multiple users who run nightlies think they have RC2 because they
> read "5.0.0-rc2" and stop reading after that :-)
> Maybe we should switch the tag back to "5.0-dev" between RC releases?
> I think all of us developers are going to look up the git hash anyway to know
> exactly when a given version was built, so the "rc2-dev" information isn't
> super necessary for me at least.
>
> By the way, it's probably annoying to change this because I imagine there are
> scripts that depend on it, but I wish the git hash didn't have a "g" in front
> of it, since if I just double-click that portion of the version string I have
> to manually remove the "g" before pasting it elsewhere to look up the hash.

I agree that the -rc2 could be confusing.  As to the "g" prefix, that is not
present in the Fedora nightlies.  They report more like:

5.0.0-rc2-dev-unknown-r12328-8fcbb64a

where the r12328 is a sequential number representing the number of commits to
date and the 8fcbb64a is the short SHA of the head commit.

        Steve