Nice work!  It may just be experimental, but it seems pretty close to a
feature for 6.0 to me :-)
I gave it a try on various boards I have worked on recently and it seems to
work as advertised and is not noticeably slower than a solid fill on my

Assuming we work out any issues related to this, I thought of two features
we might want to add after this:
1) Allow 45-degree grids instead of just 90
2) Add a DRC check for stitching vias that would have connected to a solid
fill but are off-grid and thus disconnected in grid fill?