On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Seth Hillbrand <seth.hillbr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If we are going to support multiple versions, on the developer side, we
> should add a preference versioning to the user configuration directory.
> Otherwise, fp-lib-table will being either pointing to v4 or v5 footprints.
> Likewise, there are a few preferences that only exist in v5 and will be
> lost when v4 saves the preference file.
>
> To avoid cluttering the config directory, we could place the v5
> configurations in a v5 sub directory.  Configurations would be
> preferentially loaded from the v5 directory with a fall-back to the v4
> items if v5 items were not found.  Configurations would only be saved to
> the v5 subdir.
>
> If we want to support this, we should insert this code before rc2.
> Thoughts?
>
> -S

Don't use a global config directory at all. Use a local config directory
relative to the directory where you are running kicad. If that is your home
directory then you will use the same one as you currently use. If you run
kicad from a subdirectory then you use one local to that directory.

You install all the bits and libraries in that same directory and you never
get any crossover between the system version and your experimental.

John Eaton