I looked at the commit and I’m starting to remember why I didn’t: there’s also
a bug in wxWidgets where if you start typing into a grid cell it will open the
editor, but the first keystroke never goes through the validator.  So I fixed
that too, but between that one and the issue commented in the code you already
saw (where the Mac version looks at the original character rather than the one
in the event) left me feeling a little uneasy about 5.0.