Most of our contributors have no previous experience with git. So we really can not expect them to understand anything beyond the github workflow. (They are experts in electronics. Not IT) I also don't believe we should burden the contributors with too much with this.

This is even true for the maintainers. They are selected because they understand how to make good symbols and footprints. (Understanding of industry standards, limitations of manufacturing processes and the limitations of kicad)

For a lot of our casual contributors the current way of contributing is already too complex. I have seen a lot of them simply give up as soon as git did something they did not expect. This is especially common on the symbol lib side as it is likely that the contributor needs to do a manual merge because somebody else touched the same lib.

These casual contributions can in most cases be summarized as a single "added symbol for component x" message. The enduser might not be concerned on the detailed mistakes made by the contributor. (And if they are, the pull request is always linked to the contribution anyways.) As we don't want users to hide their history from us maintainers (we want to see what they changed after feedback from us) we really do not want them to squash their commits (by using amend).

So the best solution might be to use the github squash merge feature instead of a normal merge and require the maintainer to write a good message about what changed. (Of course only if the contributor did not already make good commit messages.)