Prior to the release of version 5, the default behavior of the escape
key when using a tool in Eeschema changed from cancel the current
operation to cancel the current operation and enable the select tool
(close the current tool).  Prior to this change, two escape key presses
were required.  The first escape key press aborted the current tool
action and the second escape key press exited the tool.  Why was this
changed?  I don't remember any discussion on the developers mailing list
about changing this.  Now, every time you abort a tool action (say
drawing a wire) you have to re-select the tool to resume your work.  I
would prefer that we change this back to the old behavior.  Before we
make any behavioral changes like this again, please get feedback from
the development team.

Cheers,

Wayne