Many options would be better than the current selection color, which as you
mentioned is not noticeable using the default color palette.

Your proposal above sounds good to me. A single color for multiple
elements, if it catches the eye, would be better than not being able to
find the highlighted element. Especially during cross-probing from Pcbnew
where the location of the schematic elements may not be known and dense
schematic can easily hide the highlight.

Candy-striping may show a selection/highlight well, but with such thin
wires in Eeschema it may not be useful. When it does work, it's often
better than a single selection/highlight color for colorblind users as well.