I hope you don't mind I give some first impressions here. I can move these
to bug database if needed.

Before trying it's unclear what the file dialog selects. I created a new
directory (with the name of the new project), went inside it and gave the
project name in the dialog. "All files *.*" filter was available there.
That is a hint that we are talking about a file. However, KiCad created a
new directory inside the selected one and placed the renamed files there. I
would like to see unambiguous information about what KiCad is going to do.

In my opinion a dedicated dialog would be better. It would have:
- A textbox and folder selection icon for the folder path.
- A textbox for the new project name (only the name, no path, no file
extensions).
- Checkbox for "create a new folder with the project name". This would
create a new folder inside the folder which was selected above.

Maybe it would be best to have checkboxes for "copy and rename generated
and unknown files". My use case this time is that I'm going to reuse part
of the old project as a template. None of the generated files, backups etc.
are used there.

The current result is here (embedded picture). As you can see, it's uneven.
Some gerber files were renamed, some not. (...Handle_Mainboard is the
original name, ...TOF is the new).

[image: image.png]

Eeli Kaikkonen

su 10. marrask. 2019 klo 0.31 Jeff Young (j...@rokeby.ie) kirjoitti:

> He he… I know our users.  I can be sure of a bug report even if I get it
> right. ;)

I never make reports about something which is done right :)