Hello,

I develop and maintain several KiCAD plugins. Many of my users started switching/would like to KiCAD 5.99 as it brings many exciting features. Therefore, I get frequently a question when KiCAD v5.99 will be supported. However, as there were some breaking changes and some parts of the API are gone and their substitutes are missing, I cannot support nightly (e.g., [1]). I remember there were some promises on the API for 5.99/6 during summer-autumn 2020 that it could be ready around end of January 2021. However, as I checked the source code, there are no news regarding the API. I also did not found any draft on the proposed feature of the API.

Therefore, I would like to ask you:

- is there any proposal of the new API for pcbnew and eeschema we could check out? I am interested to see it, possibly start adapting my plugins to it and e.g., give you feedback on missing functionality/hard to use parts before it gets freeze (basically my concerns from [2]) - is there any work-in-progress we can test? If not, is there a known time estimate when KiCAD can reach first testable version of the Python API? - I know that maintaining large open-source project is hard and time consuming, so I would like to ask if there is anything I could do to help your regarding the API? I have already contributed to KiCAD and I think am a skillful C++ programmer, so if there are some isolated tasks that you can delegate, I am willing to contribute!

PS: As I am not a native speaker, so I am not sure if I set the tone of the e-mail right. To clarify; I am writing in a curious and caring matter. I do not blame you guys for not having the API yet. I value your work and appreciate it a lot!

Jan

[1] https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/6885
[2] https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/7134