Actually, this is a wishlist item I'd like to add.  Long ago when I
used to use PADS, I seem to remember it being very easy to select
layers to view.

How about a toolbar selection that allows you to view specific layers,
or "all"?  Right now, there's a toolbar selection (I think; I'm not on
a computer with Kicad right now) that allows you to select a layer to
work on, but it still shows everything.

Having to go to Preferences->Colors is not very intuitive or
convenient; this isn't really a preference thing anyway.  I may want
to view some tracks on one side without the other stuff obscuring my
view, then quickly switch to the other side.

Otherwise, great work on Kicad!  Remember, the only reason anyone
makes suggestions here (I wouldn't call it "complaining") is because
they've probably looked at alternative PCB programs like EAGLE, gEDA,
etc., and have decided Kicad is the best.  No one would be here if
they didn't actually like Kicad.  We just want it to be even better.

Dan