I found out the basic steps by trial end error. If anyone has
some tips - especially for getting proportions and scaling
correct, then that would be good.

Obtain wings3d from http://www.wings3d.com/
Learn how to use it from http://www.wings3d.com/doghouse.php
and see what else it can do by looking up wings3d in youtube.
When you are ready to create a 3d component, then make one
using wings and concentrate only on the relative proportions.
This is because Kicad's module editor links the 3D in and scales
and rotates according to your needs. Therefore, a basic axial R
component could be scaled differently for different wattage.
Hint: A toroid can by streached and cut in half to make leads,
while a cylinder or cubes make the basis of the component
itself.

Save the wings file. Then export it into VRML 2.0 format.
This is what Kicad can read.

Create your footprint in Kicad, use it in your PCB layout.
Double-click on the PCB footprint while in PCB layout
and then click the tab to set up 3d. Browse to the
VRML 3d exported file. Find the right scaling
and orientation to make the leads fit into the pads in the
footprint. Update the library and your board. Test the
3D view.

Learning curve: About 4 hours or so.