On a complicated board this can mean hundreds of extra tracks.  I found 
that a pain, and we have had discussions on how to deal with this 
deficiency.  The current hurdle is lack of time to fix it.


On a simple board, it is not much of a problem.  Simply run the few 
tracks as mentioned.


On a complicated board, I usually do the routing (manually, and to a 
lesser degree incremental autorouting) using freerouter.   In such a 
case, that tool has an "Incompletes" button to show unconnected nets.  
It recognizes the power planes.  So if I don't get incompletes in that 
tool, when the board is imported back into pcbnew, I simply ignore the 
unconnected nets at that point,  refill all the zones, and generate the 
gerbers.


Note however that I have recently seen a situation where the resolution 
of gerber rasters was not tight enough to connect to a power/ground pin, 
and had to go back and actually route one or two of those ground pins 
with tracks anyway, simply because being over the zone was not 
sufficient, due to the imprecise way that copper is generated into a 
zone.  This was a case where my track to track spacing was set at 4 mils 
and a zone could not fit in between that gap to get to the ground pin, 
and the pin was surface mount and the zone was on the same layer.

Spending some time inspecting the gerbers is always worth it, and the 3d 
viewer is also useful for the copper on the board.

Dick


Reply via email to