--- In [email protected], "yajeed2000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> --- In [email protected], "prof886" <mdunsford@> wrote:
> >
> > I've come across a small problem when trying to find my library 
files. 
> > They appeared in the editor but not in the library directory.
> > 
> > By default, Vista does not allow applications to save files to 
the 
> > Program Files directory. To make things more complicated it has a 
> > mechanism to pretend to save files there but actually saves them 
to a 
> > hidden directory (AppData\Local\VirtualStore in the user 
profile.). 
> > Files appear to save and are visible in KiCad but not if you look 
for 
> > them in the program files directory (e.g. to manually edit or 
back up).
> > 
> > Most of the time this is just a nuisance but it could lead to 
loss of 
> > data if you back up your program files\KiCad directory and think 
you've 
> > backed up your custom libraries.
> > 
> > If it is not already on the list can I suggest that the KiCad 
default 
> > directory for modules and libraries be moved live under either 
the user 
> > or public documents directory for future windows releases. (I 
know you 
> > can move them but, until you lose some data you wouldn't know you 
> > needed to!)
> > 
> > --- In [email protected], "prof886" <mdunsford@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the suggestions. 
> > > 
> > > I've created a module for it which seems to work.
> > >
> >
> Hi,
> Why not just install to your root directory (c:\). The install 
program
> allows you to choose your own location, I've just tried it.
> Or does vista stop you from doing that as well?
> 
> David.
>

I've just done a couple of tests and C:\ seems to work - Thanks.
(Anyone using this workaround should be aware though that the root of 
C isn't an approved location either though so MS may block it out in 
a future security patch.)

Reply via email to