I do that too, even with programs that do have a good undo function. However,
the major changes are not what I need the undo for. I mostly hand route my
boards, and am constantly deleting some traces to try to route them better,
then deciding that the original routing was better. If I delete a few traces to
try a new routing and then see that is not going to make things better, I don't
want to have to re-enter all the traces I just deleted. Having to think about
saving before every minor change like that just puts a damper on the creative
process. The undo/redo in the development version linked above seems to work
fine and is just what I needed.