On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:54:43 -0000
"oniamien" <oniamien.angelf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Welcome to Kicad.

First do note that the tutorial is rather old, most of it still applies
and you should go through it a few times just to get the hang of how to
do things.

You will find the tutorial in kicad/doc/tutorial/

Also, there are much more detailed help files included with the each
kicad program, you can access these from the help menu or read them
directly. They are all pdf files located in kicad/doc/...

Do take the time to read the help files, there is a lot of useful info in
them.

It is down to you to check that the package and pins are correct. Most
are. But as you get into various projects you will find the need to
edit or create your own modules. The thing to remember is that the pin
number on the component in eeschema will map to the same pin number on
the module. However the pins can be in any physical location. I must
admit that I've never come across the need to physically shift a pin
number around, but I can think of a couple of packages I've used in the
past where that might have been necessary.

CVpcb does NOT know anything about different pin assignments, it's
purely a program to allow you to assign modules to components, That's
where YOU decide on what module to use.

If you print out the footprint documentation you will find a set of
drawings off all the included footprints. I think that is the file you
are referring to. There is an icon to access this on the top toolbar on
CVpcb, but like other documents, it is in the doc directory, again it's
a pdf file. I have a printed copy beside me when selecting components,
it's quite handy.

For the components in the tutorial, they should be in the list...Ahh
looks like a change in names happened sometime, try DIP-16_300

With the standard set, you will not find many filters. (The 7400 has a
couple.)

Components can come is all sorts of packages. The physical package will
be defined somewhere on the datasheets, and there can be loads of them.
It's down to the manaf. as to which ones they use. However they are
fairly sensible most times...at least for the common components.

Usually it's you as the circuit designer that determines which
particular package to use. e.g. if you were making a very small device,
using surface mount components, then you would choose the various SM
packages, and not something like a dip 16 300 :-) So you would already
know what packages to use.

Andy