> Is there any way to force KiCAD to make a PCB of a single schematic sheet,
> even when buried within a larger hierarchical design?

I had a similar issue with a sandwitch-board (i.e. two pcb mounted with risers).

The trick is to use a single pcb file with all your boards drawn into it and
declare the joining points (connectors, risers, whatever) as modules (like the
CONN_ parts). Of course you have to manage manually the pinouts of these
connectors to make them match!

It is actually easier to build them later since you only have to submit *one*
gerber/PnP set instead of three! You could also ask the manufacturer about how
he would like the board aligned to ease panelisation and where to put
scoring/rat-bites indications (but, anyway, they will have no trouble
separating three boards from the same gerber set).