--- In kicad-users@yahoogroups.com, "andy_7945" <hvbry...@...> wrote:

> This is all okay, as I can use a revised approach by creating the library
> first, then inserting each module into the auxiliary board one by one after
> the fact.  But this is not how the documentation says to do it.  This causes
> me to believe that I'm somehow missing some important detail of how to
> specify the module name when using the above described procedure ("Load
> module from lib", edit the module, change its "reference" field, then "Insert
> module into current board").  If so, how can I specify a new name for the
> module?

Sorry but IMHO that's a bug. There is an hidden *footprint name* which is set
during the creation but isn't editable anywere (if it isn't I haven't found
it). IIRC it's the 'Li' field in the library...

The only solution I can think about is to hand editing the component/board file
(a search & replace with the old name does the trick)