Hi Josh;

I'm not sure of everything you mention, I wish you the best with your research
and use of FPGAs.

I have experience with the Xilinx tools.  The VHDL code I've written by hand is
largely generic and the Xilinx tools appear happy with straight VHDL, without
concern of where the VHDL code came from.  Maybe some day I'll get to Verilog.

Jonathan