Hello Andy, hello Jim.

> Another option that I have seen suggested, is that you can open the sub
> sheet as a separate project and work on that, but that can cause it's own
> issues. (I've never tried this)

Of course. This works very well. I prefer this method, because it is the
easiest way to keep an overlook about your doings.
But dont forget to copy the subsheets in a new folder and to rename them. It is
ugly to have sheets with the same name, but different content. ;-)

> A better method and the one that I prefer is to
> treat each PCB as it's own design, and then the problems generally go
> away.

Of course, this will happen, if you reuse the sunsheets in the suggested way.

 i.e. in a project I will have a PSU circuit, a processor circuit, a
> relay driver circuit and so on. Each with their own netlists, PCBnew
> files and so on. So the general rule is, if the final result is to be one
> PCB, then everything goes into one circuit, using sub sheets as required.
>
> If the end result is several different PCB's, then each PCB should have
> it's own circuit. (Which is what andrew suggests below)

Perhaps this stub of a document at the attachment
(KiCAD-HierarchischeSchaltplaene+buildingBlocksRevA-EN.pdf) will help you.
But it shows the reverse way: making one big schematic from prefabricated sub
sheds. Of course, perhaps you will get a feeling about using subschematics in
both ways. ;-)

You will find this stuff together with some example schematics and building
blocks at the file repository of this user group (Files > Library >
BuildingBlocks)
The Link is: