Most people go through this process at first, but you seem to have got
hold of the basics pretty quick.

The purpose of power flags is to tell the ERC checking system that there
is actually power being provided.

Consider if your battery was a separate box and you connected it with
flying leads to a connector.

You would need to put a power flag on the ground and +volts pins to keep
ERC happy.

The gotcha that sometimes catches people out (but not you) is that a
regulator is often defined with it's output pin as a power out, in that
case you do not need a power flag on the regulator output.

If you have invisible pins set to invisible, then yes again you are
correct, these pins are automatically connected for you. This makes the
cct MUCH neater when you have a lot of devices. With only one or two
devices it does not make much difference. However if you make the
invisible pins visible you then HAVE to connect them manually.

With a uP such as the mega setting the pins to tri state is not really the
correct way to go but it is a good starting point. Really you should set
the pins to match whatever mode you are programming them to be. There is
NOT a one size fits all setting for them. (I'll bet that a lot of users
set the pins to passive and don't bother to change them for each design.
That will work, but you can lose a lot of the ERC checking)

With the HC595, I assume that you copied the same device twice. If so
that should be OK. If this was an invisible pin then it should be
automatically connected unless you changed the name for some reason. If
you are manually connecting the power lines, then watch out for junctions.
A junction is NOT automatically created when two lines join, you need to
place a junction marker.

With the reset pin issue, yes the warning is correct. You have to change
the pin type to passive or similar I think setting it to type input
will cure the problem as well, or another method is to pull up the pin
via a resistor then the error will go away.

Power in pins should only connect to power out pins directly according to
the ERC rules. So when you try connecting a power out to something else
then you get this error. It's down to the uP being rather more clever
than the ERC system, so you have to make some allowances, you soon get
used to it :-)

Andy