Yes you can place the lib anywhere you want. I keep mine in my home
directory (linux version). This is the best option anyway, because there
is always the danger of libs getting overwritten during a program upgrade.

Just remember to include your libs into the project with the preferences >
library tool.

If this gets tedious (you have to do this for each new project) you can
modify the default kicad.pro project and add them to this, then they will
be available to each new project automatically.

Andy