Hi,

I have exactly the same issue for a multi-sheet schematic. I added a component,
closed KiCAD, went back into the same project and got the ?? problem.

Looking at the thread here:
  http://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-users@yahoogroups.com/msg04204.html

It says
  "with the lib editor you can select the projectname.cache.lib"

Following that hint, and bearing in mind the other suggestions, I tried the
following

1. EESchema: Preferences~library
2. Look at "Current search path list". Make sure your project directory is there
3. Highlight that line (in the list below "Current search path list", select
you project directory)
4. Move to the top of the dialogue - "Component library files" and choose "Add"
5. Add "manual-cache.lib" (or whatever is appropriate for the project in
question)

It seems to 'work' - but I do not know if the above (1..5) are actually helpful
though - it seems wrong that I have to do this when (in my case) I have not
changed project.