Hi Kaspar,

Thank you for the information.

It seems KIM does not catch whole names. The reason is most probably in the jape rules. We will take a look and provide a more detailed answer.

Greetings,
Philip

Kaspar Fischer wrote:
Dear list,

I have just installed kim-platform-2.3-RC1 and started playing around with it on MacOS 10.5.6. I am trying to annotate documents but do not manage to have names in documents recognised.

More precisely, I did the following. Using

  ./bin/tools/toolPopulate.sh

I added two ASCII documents with the contents

  Do you know Nicole Meier, who is Martin Fischer's girlfriend?

and

Immob Inc., a company owned by Martin Fischer, is based in Basel, Switzerland.

respectively. I then launched http://localhost:8080/KIM and performed a keyword search for "Fischer". This shows me the two documents. If I click on the former document and click the link "Show All Document Entities", I see that in the sentence

  Do you know Nicole Meier, who is Martin Fischer's girlfriend?

only the word "Fischer" was recognised as a named entity. Neither "Martin Fischer" nor "Nicole Meier" were recognised.

It seems that "Fischer" was recognised because the World Knowledge Base contains an entry for Joschka Fischer, a German politician.

Could it be that only known entities are recognised?

Many thanks for any pointers!
Kaspar

P.S. I also tried changing com.ontotext.kim.KIMConstants.IE_APP in config/nerc.properties from "IE-no-keywords.gapp" to "IE.gapp" -- with the same results. I do not know however whether this is related to the problem I am seeing.

P.P.S. A side not on installing KIM on MacOS X: This worked almost perfectly and I only encountered one tiny issue that the KIM developers might be interested in: In config/config_machine.sh, line 29, there is a check for tools.jar, which on MacOS X is not available in a standard location, see

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/02-JavaDevTools/JavaDevTools.html

After uncommenting this check, KIM ran without any problems at all!