Dragonflybsd ini naga-naganya mampu mengisi 'cacat' di freebsd dalam hal kernel thread. Ada yang coba ini di production untuk server? Nampaknya cukup potensial. Barangkali saya terlalu bias ke matt :-)
note: userspace thread tidak bisa memanfaatkan multi prosesor ... that's why fbsd s*ck .. hi..hi.. (j/k). ----- Forwarded message from Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ----- From: Matthew Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Final report on the Shuttle XPC (SN95G5v3) with an AMD X2 dual-core cpu in it, running DragonFly Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:47:52 -0800 (PST) To: [email protected] Here's my final report: * APIC based interrupt routing is broken, but a kernel built with SMP and *without* APIC_IO will route interrupts and operate pretty well. With this particular shuttle you also have to set the CPU_AMD64X2_INTR_SPAM kernel option when building your kernel to fix a bug in Shuttle's BIOS. Note that the 1.2 release will not work, you have to use the latest 1.3 (HEAD as of now) or later. * All devices work well except the NVidia ethernet device. The NVidia ethernet on the motherboard will work for a time, but will suddenly start getting watchdog timeouts and eventually get into a state where not even the reset button fixes the problem.... you have to physically unplug the power cord and plug it back in again. This is likely due to bugs in the NVidia ethernet driver, in particular the NVNET blackbox object module that Nvidia supplies (for linux) and hasn't handed out the source for. They seem to be making only a half-hearted effort to suppot Open Source, which is really unfortunate. We really need the source code to properly support devices. This means that I'm at a dead-end... there is no further work I can do on the Nvidia ethernet driver to make it work. NVidia has to step up to the plate and fix their driver. * With the AMD X2 dual-core cpu, an SMP build recognizes both cpus and performance is really quite incredible. In order to use this box reliably, I recommend purchasing an Intel PRO/1000 Etehernet adapter (e.g. PWLA8391GTBLK), sticking it into the PCI slot, and purchasing an AGP graphics card (e.g. MX4000-T64), preferably one that does not need a fan, and sticking that in the AGP slot (this shuttle does not have MB video). Then simply do not use the on-board NVidia ethernet. This is what I have done, and I now have two of these boxes happily banging away. Other then the above quirks, I am *very* happy with this box. It is a lot quieter then shuttle's older boxes, mainly owing to the fan speed control being done in hardware now. I am hoping that Nvidia eventually fixes their ethernet driver and that Shuttle eventually fixes their BIOS, but it works *now* with these work-arounds so I am happy. -Matt ----- End forwarded message ----- Salam, P.Y. Adi Prasaja -- Ini signature saya. Pasang iklan anda di sini ... tarif menantang :-) -- Right or wrong my list. Unsubscribe option is currently unavailable. Indeed, it's available upon request .. but: cepek dulu donk!
