Hi,

dnsmasq is caching forwarder, knot resolver is full resolver (but can be
configured as forwarder too).

As in your 5-step list: you have to install it, modify /etc/resolv.conf as
in step 2, and then start it (kresd -k /var/something/root.keys).

If you want to forward to full recursors like 8.8.8.8 then you need to
touch configuration, and do something like:

modules = { 'daf' }
daf.add 'forward 8.8.8.8'

See
http://knot-resolver.readthedocs.io/en/latest/modules.html#dns-application-firewall