After reading the documentation I see that double quotes and not single quotes
are needed when special characters are in use.

   'If an item value contains spaces or other special characters, it is
necessary to enclose such value within double quotes " “.'
   https://www.knot-dns.cz/docs/2.5/singlehtml/index.html#description

It would be nice if `knotc conf-check` emitted a warning if special characters
where not double quoted, and therefore not valid YAML.

Thanks John