Hi Klaus,

do I understand correctly that you are missing a tool (e.g. supplied
along with Knot DNS/Knot Resolver), which would give you how much memory
is actually used, along with number showing how much is just "cache"?

Would you be willing to use it to get numbers about memory usage instead
of whatever tool you use now?

Again, please do not forget that comparing numbers (as you say, "without
analyzing virtual vs resistent vs ... memory") does not say anything
about behavior under stress. BIND and also Knot DNS have their journal
on disk, so if the system does not have enough memory for cache both of
them will be slow(er) to read data from disk, slowing down other operations.

The only difference here is that BIND's memory consumption (at first
glance) does not include amount of memory consumed by cache, and Knot
DNS's memory consumption (again, at first glance) does include the cache.

However in both cases the system will just drop the cache if it needs
more memory, so there is non actual difference. (This difference is
caused by way how in Linux kernel memory statistics work, it is not a
choice of Knot DNS developers.)

https://symas.com/understanding-lmdb-database-file-sizes-and-memory-utilization/
describes this in more detail.

So, would a tool printing "real" memory consumption help you?

Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC