https://bugs.koha-community.org/bugzilla3/show_bug.cgi?id=22972

--- Comment #53 from David Cook <[email protected]> ---
After I wrote that paper and presented at VALA 2018 on Linked Data, I had a
phone call with the research division at OCLC. Back then, they used to publish
JSON-LD for all WorldCat records which was findable on the Worldcat HTML pages,
which was really cool.

Unfortunately, OCLC couldn't really see much benefit for open Linked Data on
the Worldcat website, and they eventually removed it.

But maybe it's because VIAF (which is hosted by OCLC anyway) is a better source
of Linked Data anyway. 

--

Personally, I think it would be awesome to see people in Koha cataloguing using
$1 and pointing to VIAF, and then Koha could index the URLs and group together
records locally using those external authorities. That would be a very powerful
way of working with LinkedData. 

Bruno, now you might say that you agree and that's what you're trying to do,
but I think there's a difference between cataloguing a bib record and pointing
to an authority, and just blanket copying URLs from a local authority's 024$a.

Anyway, I think that's it for me. 

I appreciate you taking the time to have this discussion with me.

Please, do feel free to change the status back to "Signed Off", if you're happy
moving forward. I won't mind.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are watching all bug changes.
_______________________________________________
Koha-bugs mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]
website : http://www.koha-community.org/
git : http://git.koha-community.org/
bugs : http://bugs.koha-community.org/

Reply via email to