At 08:34 AM 9/21/2016 -0600, Kyle Hall wrote:
Paul, that's not how it works. As I wrote earlier, if *I* sue Facebook I could potentially lose my right to distribute software using React, but you would be unaffected.

Kyle -- not wanting to flog a dead horse (and as I wrote IANAL), but Koha is a prime example of open-source and has a track record of ensuring it remains so. Philosophically I like that. Practically, I run a charity (our members are the equity owners and I have no clue as to their love/hate relationship with Facebook) and would not want to take risks, nor have the budget to get a "legal opinion" (due diligence, and all that...)

Best -- Paul

Kyle

<http://www.kylehall.info>http://www.kylehall.info
ByWater Solutions ( <http://bywatersolutions.com>http://bywatersolutions.com )
Meadville Public Library ( <http://www.meadvillelibrary.org>http://www.meadvillelibrary.org ) Crawford County Federated Library System ( <http://www.ccfls.org>http://www.ccfls.org )

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Paul A <<mailto:pau...@navalmarinearchive.com>pau...@navalmarinearchive.com> wrote:
At 02:14 PM 9/21/2016 +0200, Mirko Tietgen wrote:
David Cook schrieb am 21.09.2016
> The updated licence isn’t without controversy:
> <<https://discuss.reactjs.org/t/legal-department-did-not-allow-use-of-react/3309/4>https://discuss.reactjs.org/t/legal-department-did-not-allow-use-of-react/3309/4> > https://discuss.reactjs.org/t/legal-department-did-not-allow-use-of-react/3309/4
>
> That said, I think the issue is that Facebook could revoke your
> licence to use React if you take legal action against Facebook. I
> don’t imagine the Koha community is going to do do that, so it’s
> > probably not a blocker.

If you are right and that is the issue, does that mean Koha would
not be Free Software anymore unless everything React is reverted?

That sounds like something I would not just push away with "i don't
imagine that happening", it sounds scary and not a way I want to go.

I don't see how a license that can be revoked for whatever reasons
could work for us.

Agreed. But IANAL. However ISTR that are recent thread suggested "tens of thousands" of potential libraries|users worldwide (based on downloads?) so Murphy|Sod's Law will kick in sooner or later...

Best -- P.

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://NavalMarineArchive.com> and <http://UltraMarine.ca>