Hi Tomas,

It’s bug 10662, but I haven’t posted the revised patches with the parameter
validation yet.

After reviewing bug 17425 and the documentation for Class::Exception, I see
what you’re saying.

These two sections are the part that explain it for me best:

<http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Exception-Class-1.40/lib/Exception/Class/Base.pm#MyException->throw(_$message_)>

http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Exception-Class-1.40/lib/Exception/Class/Base.pm#MyException->throw(_$message_)

<http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Exception-Class-1.40/lib/Exception/Class/Base.pm#$exception->message()>

http://search.cpan.org/~drolsky/Exception-Class-1.40/lib/Exception/Class/Base.pm#$exception->message()

However, I think there’s still room for convention.

For instance:

try {

                $patron->blah('blah');

} catch {

                ok( $_->isa('Koha::Exceptions::Object::MethodNotFound'),

                'Calling a non-existent method should raise a
Koha::Exceptions::Object::MethodNotFound exception' );

};

This is a basic example… I’d want to see “which” method was not found. Of
course, Object.pm defines that in the exception:

Koha::Exceptions::Object::MethodNotFound->throw( "No method $method for " .
ref($self) );

Koha::Exceptions::Object::PropertyNotFound->throw( "No property $p for " .
ref($self) );

However, that’s more human readable than machine readable. Let’s say we’re
doing a CRUD form for the web UI, and we have something like
Koha::Exceptions::Object::ValueInvalid. I think we’d want an error code or
error message that would be easy to catch in the code, and then we relay that
to the template in a way which allows for translation.

In my code, I’ve been doing it like in my .pm/.pl:

$errors->{url}->{invalid_scheme} = 1;

Then in the template:

[% IF ( errors.url.invalid_scheme ) %]

                Your url must start with http:// or https://

[% END %]

While my approach works, I don’t know that I’ve seen it elsewhere in Koha, and
it just feels a bit… suboptimal to me. I don’t know why.

I suppose if I were using exceptions… it might be something like
Koha::Exceptions::URI::InvalidScheme, and I’d probably be manually throwing
that error in my processing of the CRUD form (since different forms might
accept URIs with different schemes). I suppose in this case I don’t necessarily
need the URI scheme that they did use… I just need to tell them the one that
they “need to use” and I know that based on my controller’s logic and display
it with the view. I suppose if they did use a scheme like “ftp”, I would know
about it since I’m trying to catch that exception… and then pass it to the view
if necessary.

So I guess in the end my questions are a bit irrelevant in terms of exceptions
per se and relate to how we surface errors for users in a consistent way…

David Cook

Systems Librarian

Prosentient Systems

72/330 Wattle St