I agree with Michael. While great strides have been made to get people off of
IE6 and IE7 and Windows XP, there are still a lot of professionals being forced
by their IT departments to use older versions of Windows and older versions of
Internet Explorer.

Over the years, I've upstreamed a number of IE fixes and in a sense been a de
facto Koha IE maintainer, but it sounds like that might not be possible in this
case. If we go too far away from what users - rather than developers - actually
use... then I think we have a problem. I think we'd be forfeiting users and
potential users of Koha to other systems or to out-dated versions of Koha.

Maybe this is a crossroads where developing multiple themes again might be a
good idea. I don't love the idea, but that might be one way of having an
up-to-date backend with a modern front-end and a legacy front-end for people
who can't have a modern option. In that case, it would be all the more reason
for keeping business logic in code rather than templates. But that's just one
idea.

Then again... maybe completely breaking Koha's staff end for IE users would
make professionals put more demands on their IT departments. Demands such that
IT departments were forced to actually support Firefox or Chrome. I wouldn't
hold my breath, but... you never know. I could see us bending over backwards
locally to provide an option to IE users though. And off the top of my head
that would probably mean staying on an older version of Koha or trying to
create our own theme to work with an upgraded backend or to replace the staff
client all together with a simplified cross-browser user interface.

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St