We regularly import large files of MARC records into our Koha (16.05) database
which have to be deleted at a later date… sometimes months later, and sometimes
maybe 30,000 records. I have been using the Undo import (sort-of “unstage”) as
I found this functionality astoundingly useful. It automated a task, reducing a
tedious job to a couple of keystrokes.

However I was dismayed to find that after a recent “Undo” of 13,000 records our
database was left over 7,000 “phantom records”- they didn’t exist but the
indexing had failed to remove all traces of them

We were advised to use the batch record deletion tool, as the Undo feature
wasn’t designed to be used in the way I was using it. “… it is meant to unstage
records nearer to the point in time of being added”. (And what’s the point of
that?) We had to have our database re-indexed to resolve the problem. Is there
any point in the Undo feature if the indexer can’t cope? I hate to think what
other dross I had left behind in earlier “Undos”!

Ray Delahunty
University of the Arts London
This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this
email and/or its attachments you must not take any action based upon them and
you must not copy or show them to anyone. Please send the email back to us and
immediately and permanently delete it and its attachments. Where this email is
unrelated to the business of University of the Arts London or of any of its
group companies the opinions expressed in it are the opinions of the sender and
do not necessarily constitute those of University of the Arts London (or the
relevant group company). Where the sender's signature indicates that the email
is sent on behalf of London Artscom Limited the following also applies: London
Artscom Limited is a company registered in England and Wales under company
number 02361261. Registered Office: University of the Arts London, 272 High
Holborn, London WC1V 7EY