Jan,

Do you have console access to the *Koha* server?

If so, log in there, and assuming that you are running a package install of
Koha, you can run

sudo koha-list

This will tell you which instances of koha are installed (unless you've
gotten fancy, there will only be one)

Then you can run

sudo koha-mysql instance-name

Where instance-name is the output from koha-list.

The script koha-mysql will read the username, password, database name,
server name and port number from koha-conf.xml, and will connect to the
database if it is up and running. If you can't connect,

1) check the settings in koha-conf.xml
2) have your IT department check that the port is open in the firewall.
3) have them restart mysql.