As far as I know, the upload plugin will take care of the 32-character hash. No need to worry about that part. You only need to upload the file and select it directly from the plugin. The URL created in 856$u should be something like {OPACBaseURL}/cgi-bin/koha/opac-retrieve-file.pl?id={hash}

Regards,

Caroline

On 2023-03-23 15:11, King, Fred wrote:
Just in case you haven't received an answer, here's mine:

I can think of several ways to do this, if I understand your situation
correctly. Everyone else, please chime in if I'm wrong. I'm using MARC21 on
Koha 22.11. Let's call your library's URL http://library.aq. Let's also say
that you have access to another server called http://documents.aq. Both systems
are running on Ubuntu, which is the only system I know how to do this on. I'm
also using http, not https. I don't think it matters in this case. The document
is avengingchicken.pdf

The 856$u field is looking for a URL to the file, rather than the file itself.
So, you need to figure out where the file is.

The easiest way would be to put it on the external server. If you upload it to
the directory a lot of systems use, it would be in /var/www/html, and the URL
you'd put in the 856$u would be http://documents.aq/avengingchicken.pdf.

If you don't have an external server available, you can put it on the Koha
server itself. (I learned this fairly recently for reasons explained below.) If
you upload your file to /usr/share/koha/opac/htdocs, it's accessible as, for
example, http://library.aq/avengingchicken.pdf. You can configure your Ubuntu
server to use a different directory by using symbolic links, but let's not get
into that today.

Unfortunately, both of these require the ability to upload files to a server. I
use FileZilla to transfer files--free and easy to use. If you can't log in as
root, it's still possible but it gets more complicated. If you know a friendly
sysadmin, they might do it for you. Give them cookies.

But wait, I hear you say, can't you do this directly from Koha? You can, but I
still haven't figured out how to do it. I know that you need to set the access
directory and upload directory in the
/etc/koha/sites/(yourlibrary)/koha-conf.xml (towards the bottom of the screen),
and that Koha gives the file a 32-character hash tag. After that, I got
horribly lost, which is why I figured out a different way.

Good luck!

Fred King, MSLS, AHIP
fred.k...@medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

You know it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold.
--NPS Twitter