On Sunday 03 July 2016 17:09:42 cyberb...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote the history2 plugin long ago. Here a more complete
> explanation
>
> why I wrote it:
> > This is a copy of the old history plugin, but with so many changes,
> > that I created it as a new one "history2".
> >
> > Most important changes:
> >
> > - based on sqlite3 instead of xml-files
> >
> > - import history button in config dialog
> >
> > - import option added for the other xml-based history-plugin
> >
> > - pidgin import improved
> >
> > - test and skip duplicates on import (so it is possible to
> > synchronize regularly from a windows-pidgin installation for
> > example)
> >
> > - more speed in most cases
> >
> > The main reason I began to rewrite the complete plugin was, that I
> > had dataloss by importing from pidgin with the old history plugin.
> > The months, which where imported from pidgin, did overwrite the
> > kopete history. This was unacceptable.
>
> So history2 plugin has quite some advantages, especially with large
> logs. And I think it would not be too hard to add a sqlite-column for
> rich text messages. But you decide, I have no time for helping
> unfortunately.

I understand reasons for history2, but porting that plugin takes time
(which you do not have too) and plugin is not so ideal. E.g. that
missing support for html messages or optimization of sql queries or
search support (e.g. fts4).

But thanks to git, code will not be lost, so in future (if somebody
would have time, interest and reasons) can do it...

The best would be to write new history plugin from scratch (either on
sqlite or other performance key-value database with search support; need
to investigate what is available in year 2016), but it is not easy and
I'm proposing this project for GSoC for more years...

From last year I have in my mind idea how it should looks like and how
it could be implemented based on sqlite. Maybe one day I implement it
myself if I would have free time for it (and nobody will be faster then
me :-)).

--
Pali Rohár
pali.ro...@gmail.com