I've noted three problems with KPhone (CVS version from 2006-05-29) and
authentication, that are above my ability to fix :

  1) If I have saved the wrong password in the configuration file,
     KPhone tries to use it at startup for REGISTER but figures out that
     it doesn't work so it shows me a dialog box where I can enter the
     correct password. This works for the REGISTER, but KPhone does not
     use this entered password for subsequent SUBSCRIBEs. For
     SUBSCRIBEs, the incorrect password from the configuration file is
     still used.

  2) KPhone never gives up. If it gets a 401, and send a new request and
     get another 401 (not 'stale' or anything), it retries as fast as it
     can and never stops. That can create serious load on a SIP server,
     and large installations would probably ban KPhone as a client
     because it could cause operational harm for the servers.

     Not sure exactly how to fix, but to have a counter and stop trying
     after three attempts or similar would probably be a good start. Not
     retrying if the computed response was exactly the same as the last
     one tried also seems like an oviously good thing.

  3) Scenario :

     UAC (kphone) --- Proxy --- UAS (presence server for example)

     If KPhone sends a SUBSCRIBE (for example) and get a 407 from
     Proxy, it adds a 'Proxy-Authorization' header. This gets the
     request past Proxy, but UAS also wants to authenticate the user
     before processing the SUBSCRIBE. It is a server, not a proxy, so
     it sends a 401. KPhone gets the 401 and creates a new request with
     an 'Authorization' header, BUT NO 'Proxy-Authorization', so the
     request gets challenged by Proxy again (with a 407). Lathe, rinse,
     repeat.

     Even if it can be argued stupid by the proxy-server integrators,
     KPhone should just add Authorization headers, so that the request
     eventually gets through Proxy and also gets accepted at UAS.

Have a nice weekend

/Fredrik