From: Lan Barnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
First to invent is better. It gives the true inventor a chance to prove
her/his case in the event of fraud. This has happened more than once
(the most famous case I know of was the telephone answering machine).

You don't see the true evil of first to file. It becomes all about money. I can file a patent on something someone else did that I know nothing about. Something thats already out on an existing product that noone thought to patent (or thought wasn't patentable). They then owe me money.

Why does MS want this? Open source. We don't have the money to file for patents. Open Office or Mozilla has a great new invention? MS patents it, they own it, they sue Mozilla and Open Office. Competition crushed again.

Gabe