As I write this, <http://morsitimer.com/> shows 11 hours, 17 minutes,
and 3 seconds for Morsi to step down as President of Egypt.  The
momentous events that began in Tunisia and became #jan25 two and a half
years ago are taking another big turn, as Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood is
turned out of power by the SCAF.  I am much less optimistic about
Egypt's future now than I was a year ago, before the beginning of
Islamist rule.  Military council rule was not good for Egypt's human
rights situation.  Perhaps what comes next will be better; but it could
be worse still.  It will take a while to find out.

The price of oil has shot back up past US$100/bbl as a result, its
highest price in a year.  This will presumably seriously pressure the
economies of the US and Europe.

Edward Snowden is apparently still in Moscow, but Evo Morales's plane
leaving Moscow was denied passage over France, Portugal, and apparently
Italy, on suspicion that it contained Snowden.  (This is how European
countries show their gratitude for leaks showing the extent of USG
spying on it?) It was forced to land in Vienna, where I'm still not
clear on whether it was searched.

President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner posted an outraged, and
riveting, series of tweets on the subject a few hours ago; here they
are, followed by my poor English translation.  Keep in mind that this
was being broadcast in real time to her two million followers on
Twitter, 5% of the country's population.

> Volví de la Rosada. Olivos, 21:46 hs. Me avisan, Presidente Correa al
> teléfono. "Rafael?. Pasámelo".
>
> "Hola Rafa, cómo estás?". Me contesta entre enojado y angustiado. "No
> sabés que está pasando?"
>
> "No, que pasa?". Yo en babia. Raro, porque siempre estoy atenta… y
> vigilante. Pero recién había finalizado una reunión.
>
> "Cristina. Lo han detenido a Evo con su avión, y no lo dejan salir de
> Europa".
>
> "Qué? Evo? Evo Morales detenido?" Inmediatamente me viene a la mente
> su última fotografía, en Rusia…
>
> Junto a Putín, Nicolás Maduro y otros Jefes de Estado. "Pero que pasó
> Rafael?"
>
> "Varios países le revocaron el permiso de vuelo y está en Viena", me
> contesta.
>
> Definitivamente están todos locos. Jefe de Estado y su avión tiene
> inmunidad total. No puede ser este grado de impunidad.
>
> Rafael me dice que va a llamar urgente a Ollanta Humala para reunión
> urgente UNASUR.
>
> Llamo a Evo. Del otro lado de la línea, su voz me responde tranquila:
> "Hola compañera, como está?". El me pregunta a mí como estoy!
>
> Me lleva miles de años de civilización de ventaja. Me cuenta la
> situación. "Estoy aquí, en un saloncito en el aeropuerto…"
>
> "Y no voy a permitir que revisen mi avión. No soy un
> ladrón". Simplemente perfecto. Fuerza Evo.
>
> CFK: "Dejáme que llame a Cancillería. Quiero ver jurisdicción, Tratado
> y Tribunal al cual recurrir. Te vuelvo a llamar". "Gracias compañera"
>
> "Hola, Susana". No querido, Susana Ruiz Cerruti. Nuestra experta en
> legales internacionales de Cancillería...
>
> Me confirma inmunidad absoluta por derecho consuetudinario, receptado
> por Convención de 2004 y Tribunal de La Haya.
>
> Si Austria no lo deja salir o quiere revisar su avión, puede
> presentarse ante la Corte Internacional de La Haya y pedir…
>
> Siiii!, UNA MEDIDA CAUTELAR. No se si ponerme a reír o llorar. Te dás
> cuenta para que son las medidas cautelares.
>
> Bueno, sino le podemos mandar algún juez de acá. Madre de Dios! Qué
> mundo!
>
> Lo llamo a Evo nuevamente. Su Ministro de Defensa toma nota. En
> Austria son las 3AM. Van a intentar comunicarse con las autoridades.
>
> Hablo con Pepe (Mujica). Está indignado. Tiene razón. Es todo muy
> humillante. Me vuelve a hablar Rafa.
>
> Me avisa que Ollanta va a convocar a reunión de UNASUR. Son las 00:25
> AM. Mañana va a ser un día largo y difícil. Calma. No van a poder.

English:

> [...]
> leave Europe."
>
> "What? Evo? Evo Morales [President of Bolivia] detained?"  Immediately
> his latest photo, in Russia, pops into my head...
>
> together with Putin, Nicolás Maduro and other Heads of State.  "But
> what happened, Rafael?"
>
> "Several countries revoked his permission to fly over, and he's in
> Vienna," he answers.
>
> They've definitely gone crazy.  Head of State, and his plane has total
> immunity.  This level of impunity [a word which here evokes the memory
> of the last dictatorship, which exterminated some ten to thirty
> thousand of its political opponents, a crime that wasn't successfully
> prosecuted until Sra. Fernandez and her late husband did so in their
> presidencies] cannot be.
>
> Rafael tells me he's going to call Ollanta Humala [president
> of Perú] urgently for an urgent meeting of UNASUR.
>
> I call Evo.  From the other end of the line, his voice answers me
> calmly, "Hey buddy, how's it going?"  He's asking *me* how *I* am!
>
> He has the advantage of thousands of years of civilization over me.
> [Not sure I understood that sentence correctly.]  He explains the
> situation to me.  "So here I am, in a little room in the airport…"
>
> "and I'm not going to let them search my plane.  I'm not a thief."
> Simply perfect.  Stay strong, Evo.
>
> CFK [Cristina]: "Let me call the State Department.  I want to check
> out which jurisdiction, Treaty and Court to use.  I'll call you back."
> "Thanks, buddy."
>
> "Hello, Susana." No, darling, Susana Ruiz Cerruti.  [Cristina is
> clarifying to the reader that she's not referring to the popular TV
> show host Susana Gimenez.])  Our expert in international legal matters
> in the State Department.
>
> She confirms absolute immunity by legal tradition, received [?] by the
> 2004 Convention and the Tribunal of The Hague.
>
> If Austria doesn't let him go or wants to search his plane, we can
> present the case before the International Court of The Hague and
> request…
>
> Yesss! A PREVENTATIVE INJUNCTION.  I don't know whether to start
> laughing or crying.  [This is a reference to the President's
> years-long struggle against preventative injunctions put in place by
> Argentine courts against her efforts to break up the big Argentine
> media trusts that are her strongest local political enemies.]  You see
> what preventative injunctions are for.
>
> And, well, if not, we can send him some judge from here.  Mother of
> God!  What a world!
>
> I call Evo back.  His Minister of Defense takes note.  In Austria it's
> 3 AM.  They're going to try to call the authorities.
>
> I speak with Pepe (Mujica) [President of Uruguay, whose legal given
> name is José].  He's outraged.  He's right.  It's all very
> humiliating.  Rafa calls me back.
>
> He tells me Ollanta will call a meeting of UNASUR.  It's 12:25 AM.
> Tomorrow will be a long, hard day.  Don't worry.  This will not stand.

So Cristina's framing this as a diplomatic humiliation, not just for
Bolivia, but for Argentina, Uruguay, Perú, Ecuador, and probably all of
South America, which is probably right on the money; and she's giving
credit to Rafa, and taking some herself, for not taking it lying down.
I think the UNASUR meeting has a pretty good chance of resulting in
Edward Snowden getting granted political asylum.

I'm very, very proud of Argentina right now.  This, not SIBIOS, is the
kind of thing I was hoping for when I chose Argentina.

It may be a coincidence, but I'm hearing a lot of jets overhead here in
downtown Buenos Aires in the wee hours of the morning, which I'm not
used to.  Could be related to UNASUR, but wind direction is more likely.

Also, Violeta and I broke up last week.  I dumped her.  We've both been
crying a lot since then.  Today was better: after the guy Beatrice
recommended came to fix the hot-water heater in my apartment this
morning, I went and helped some art students with electronics projects,
and then went over to Beatrice's house to help her boyfriend Santiago
figure out how to get the power back on, and stayed for pizza.