So I just upgraded to Emacs 22 in April, despite Debian Etch not
supporting it.  It solves several of my daily annoyances with Emacs
21:
- It recognizes "Password: " as a password prompt, so ssh and sudo get
  the benefit of me not having to manually type M-x send-invisible.
- I can paste Unicode text into it from a web browser, including
  asymmetrical quotes, real apostrophes, and em dashes, and have it
  save them to a UTF-8 file without fuss.  (Although it still displays
  the quotes in an obnoxious double-width fashion until the file has
  been saved and reloaded.)
- TRAMP works out of the box.
- The documentation is included, unlike in Debian.  (There's a
  licensing dispute over whether the GNU Free Documentation License is
  free enough to satisfy the Debian Free Software Definition.)
- comment-region now asks what comment syntax to use if it doesn't
  know.
- When I run e.g. "darcs" by itself in shell-mode, occasionally Emacs
  used to take quite a while to display its output usage message,
  because it was reading it one character at a time.  This has been
  fixed.

I also anticipate joy using MuMaMo, but I haven't actually tried that
yet.

There are some changelog/news entries that sounded pretty good:
    ...if you set `set-mark-command-repeat-pop' to t.  I.e. C-u C-SPC
    C-SPC C-SPC ... cycles through the mark ring.  Use C-u C-u C-SPC
    to set the mark immediately after a jump.  [Haven't tried this yet.]

    ...M-% typed in isearch mode invokes `query-replace' or
    `query-replace-regexp' (depending on search mode) with the current
    search string used as the string to replace.  [Haven't tried this
    yet.]

    You can now customize the use of window fringes.  To control this
    for all frames, use M-x fringe-mode or the Show/Hide submenu
    of... [so now I can have two 80-column windows on my screen at
    once, which is awesome]

    A new minor mode `next-error-follow-minor-mode' ... In this mode,
    cursor motion in the buffer causes automatic display in another
    window of the corresponding matches, compilation errors,
    etc. [Haven't tried this.]

    The new command `multi-occur' is just like `occur', except it can
    search multiple buffers. [Useful. Also I didn't know about
    `occur`.]

    The grep commands provide highlighting support. Hits are fontified
    in green, and hits in binary files in orange.  Grep buffers can be
    saved and automatically revisited.  [This is in fact extremely
    awesome.]

    In addition, when ending or calling a macro with C-x e, the macro
    can be repeated immediately by typing just the `e'. [This sounds
    nice, but the F3 and F4 macro keybindings are better.]

    The new package longlines.el provides ... "soft word wrap" [like
    actual word processors have since the 1970s.  Turns out to be
    fantastic.]

    SES mode (ses-mode) is a new major mode for creating and editing
    spreadsheet files.  [Haven't tried this yet.]

    The new package table.el implements editable, WYSIWYG, embedded
    `text tables' in Emacs buffers  [Haven't tried this yet.]

    The new package flymake.el does on-the-fly syntax checking of
    program source files.  [Haven't tried this yet.]

    savehist saves minibuffer histories between sessions.  [Haven't
    tried this yet.]

    isearch in Info uses Info-search and searches through multiple
    nodes.  [This is fantastic.]

    Atomic change groups: To perform some changes in the current
    buffer "atomically" so that they either all succeed or are all
    undone, use `atomic-change-group' around the code that makes
    changes.  [Sounds like a fantastic idea, but I haven't tried it
    either.]

So far I've only noticed two new annoyances: one is that it uses its
own python-mode that I don't like as well as the one that comes with
Python, and the other is that C-x C-f RET no longer reverts the file
to the version in the filesystem (assuming the buffer wasn't edited);
now you actually have to type the filename.

The stuff in the NEWS file (C-h N) looks pretty innocuous.  Nothing is
terribly exciting, though.