* Repairing things yourself can cost less than paying someone else to
  fix them, but it takes a lot of time.  The surprising benefit,
  though, is that you learn why they broke, and how to tell when it’s
  about to happen.  It turns out that a lot of day-to-day things
  (bicycles, clothes, cars) will last a lot longer if you have enough
  awareness of them to care for them properly.

* Dollar-store flip-flops (in my case, bought from a wholesale shop
  for US$0.75 per pair) will break eventually.  You can extend their
  life substantially by buying several matched pairs, so that when
  they break, you can mix and match.  Also, black ones show rubber
  dust and diesel exhaust less than white ones.  Flip-flops are less
  hospitable to foot fungus than other kinds of sandals, much lighter
  and easier to pack than any other shoes, don’t require socks, and
  reduce weight especially on your feet, where it counts most.

* Dacyczyn-style tightwaddage places a big emphasis on
  self-sufficiency and self-reliance.  While it’s certainly desirable
  to be able to make do when nobody else is around, it’s a lot more
  frugal to take the opportunity to share your vacuum cleaner with
  your neighbors.  There are lots of opportunities for cooperative
  management of capital goods like these, and a lot of these are newly
  enabled by information technology.  Any durable thing that you use
  with a duty cycle of under 50% is a candidate, the further below the
  better.

* The difference between garbage and resources is organization.  (This
  is the modern information-theoretical understanding of the third law
  of thermodynamics: entropy, and thus the uselessness of a system, is
  a measure of how much you don’t know about where things are and what
  they are doing.) Organization and discipline can allow you to manage
  a much larger set of tools and materials.  Lack of organization and
  discipline (as I can attest) can turn working resources into
  garbage.

* Living in a city means you don’t have to buy things until you need
  them.  Country people have to keep a stockpile of spare parts, which
  soaks up capital that could be invested in something that provides a
  return.  City people can spend their capital replacing only the
  things that do break, instead of the things that might break.  But I
  still carry an extra pair of flip-flops in my backpack, which came
  in handy today when I broke one of the ones I was wearing.  In a
  sense, a spare gasket at the hardware store is an investment in
  rapid recovery from leaks whose up-front capital cost is borne by
  the whole neighborhood (in the form of retail markup) rather than by
  each neighbor separately.

* Sauces and spices can inexpensively make even beans and rice an
  endless source of culinary delights.  But you’ll regret it if you
  overdo the habanero sauce.  Ow.  Also, don’t forget MSG.

* Given limited space for gardening, start with herbs, spices, and
  greens you can’t stand to eat in bulk.  Nasturtiums are too strong
  for me to eat more than a leaf or two a day, but they add freshness,
  nutrition, and a lot of flavor to a cheese sandwich.  100mg of
  rosemary can flavor 1000g of rice very nicely; an extra 100mg of
  rice would go unnoticed.  So grow the rosemary and get the rice at
  the store until you have a paddy.

* Given limited time for limited-space gardening, use deep planters
  and prefer hardier plants.

* Bicycles are a lot cheaper to drive than cars and about as fast and
  cheap as taking the bus, at least until you plow into a taxi and run
  up a hospital bill.  But their real advantage is that they make your
  time predictable: you rarely have to hunt for a parking space and
  you never wait for half an hour for the bus to come.  Also, they
  keep you from catching cold from people on the bus, and they improve
  your health when you don’t get into accidents.

* Adapting your body to chilly weather, when it comes, reduces your
  need for clothing and laundry soap, lightening your backpack
  dramatically.  And it means you can use flip-flops more of the year.

* Much ugliness is unnecessary, simply people accepting the defaults
  and not bothering to create harmony in their surroundings; and the
  same is true of household and mechanical maintenance.  I see walls I
  haven’t decorated, a dish I haven’t washed, a book I haven’t put
  away, and a knife I haven’t sharpened.