On 7/12/2013 3:35 PM, Jeff Scott wrote:
> I tested with a 2" scat intake pointed at the oil tank to help cool it.  That
> made a 2* difference in the oil temp.  Dropped it from 220 to 218, which I
> consider to be insignificant.

     Just a random thought, but have you considered adding some heat
sinks to the oil tank?  In the Subaru world they seem to help reduce the
temps of the PSRU (prop gearbox).

     Here is a quote from one person's results:

"Cooling fin performance on the gearbox? The heatsinks on the gearbox
got me about 15 degrees improvement. In a hard climb of hot days
95F+(wot, 2500 prop rpm and 100 kts I would see my gearbox go to
208-210. Same thing on the coolant temps. But when I level off my
coolant and oil would go to 190F and the gearbox would stay at 208-210.
Adding the fins got me in to the 195-193F range."

 From another email:

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/flat_hd.html
<http://www.conradheatsinks.com/products/flat_hd.html>
Their MF18-100 should do the trick.  This is very very close to what I
have on the Gearbox now. Hope this helps

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/ea_thermallyconductive.htm
Product is Duralco 128, good for 450F
Matt says it likes heat to cure so running the engine first to warm it
up helps it cure.
Cost $63.00 plus shipping for an 8 ounce kit.

I haven't done any of this personally, so I can't help much, but I
thought I would pass along the information.

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - VP EAA Chapter 87
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/