On 02/06/2014 09:16 AM, Jeff Scott wrote:
> When the son flies it (commercial PL with lots of ratings), he can fly it at
> whatever speed and altitude the plane is capable of doing.  When the father
> (Sport Pilot) flies it, he is required to comply with the placard on the
> panel that states something to the effect of limiting the engine RPM to 2700
> after 5 minutes to comply with Light Sport Pilot rules.

A nitpick perhaps, but the son cannot LEGALLY fly it at whatever speed
and altitude the plane is capable of if that means not complying with
the placards.  As you stated, in the FAAs eyes, if it is placarded on
the panel, it will be flown according to the placards.

I'm not sure anyone has done this yet, but it would be interesting to
know if a placard would be acceptable if labeled something like "If you
are a Sport Pilot, do not exceed 138 mph, otherwise have fun!"  :-)

The prop rule is interesting, too.  LSA specs say you can have a ground
adjustable prop, but not one that can be adjusted in the air.  Can you
put an electrically adjustable prop on an LSA aircraft and placard the
panel switch "Adjust prop pitch only on ground"?  :-)

-Dj

--
Dj Merrill - N1JOV - VP EAA Chapter 87
Sportsman 2+2 Builder #7118 N421DJ - http://deej.net/sportsman/