I am using a Zenith from Great Plains on my 2180 VW.  The carb is mounted
directly behind the Diehl adapter case.  If you have a magneto at that
location, then mounting the carb there will not work to well.  I used the
intake manifold kit from Great Plains, but opened the Y section to raise the
carb higher.  The carb mounting  plate was cut off and re-welded 90-degrees
to the original to face the carb air inlet to the right side.  I made a
bracket to mount the carb to the center of the Diehl adapter case.  The
speedometer cable has some torque wind-up before the mixture needle actually
starts to move.  Wish I could find a cable with the same flexibility as the
speedometer cable, but without the springy wind up.  Using the O2 mixture
meter with this arrangement is dirt simple.  The Zenith does not have an
accelerator pump, so have to slowly advance the throttle from idle to keep
the engine from stalling.  From 700 RPM to 1300 RPM takes about 3 seconds.
Past about 1300 RPM can jam the throttle with no further concern

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

> On my old KR I was using the Zenith that Great Plains sells with a single
> runner manifold to the heads. That engine was also a 2180 cc. That
> combination work very well for many years. It ran smooth throughout the
> throttle range, summer or winter, idled well and was easy to start. The
> only
> thing I did not like about it was using a speedometer cable to control the
> mixture. I like the robustness of the hardware on the Revflow. I am going
> try one more time with the new needle, but I am getting all the parts
> together to use the Zenith again.  I want to fly the plane and not fixate
> so
> much on the carburetor. Right now I am afraid to go far from the airport.
> Of
> coarse I will have to do some glass work on the cowling to make the Zenith
> fit and come up with a mixture control for it, because it needs to hang
> lower under the engine.

Re:  flying, KR 19-8322 (Roger Bulla)