The KR1 and KR2 have pre-filled performance data templates, at least as far as
in the Centers goes. So, when calling for flight following, you can identify as
either "experimental KR1/KR2" or straight "experimental." If the controller
asks for specific type, you can respond with the KR1/KR2 and the system will
accept it. The system will use template speeds (130 KTAS for the KR1 and KR2)
and climb/descent rates (1000 FPM for KR1 and KR2) for conflict alert
processing. If these vary significantly (+/- 5% or 10 kts, whichever is
greater), advise ATC of your actual value. The system does not discriminate
between a KR2 and KR-2S, so the type call for both has to be "KR2." None of
that is required, of course, as "experimental" will suffice, as Mr. Flesner
pointed out. But it helps the controller out when issuing traffic calls to know
the type of aircraft involved. Or, in cases like me, satisfies pure curiosity :)
Also, as I'm sure most of you know, VFR flight plan information does not
transfer to ATC facilities; it is strictly a function of Flight Service. So, if
you do file a VFR plan (as I hope you all do anyway), understand that the
controllers will not know what you do (be nice!), such as what your filed TAS
and route is. For example, if you're flying from Aberdeen SD to Rapid City SD,
the controller will enter it as a direct flight, even though you may have filed
on the VFR plan to go over Pierre instead of direct. In a case like that, I'd
suggest that after getting radar identified, tell the controller what your
route plan is if it's anything besides direct.

Thanks for listening and safe flying!

-Matt Reed    KR-2S, 75%    Long EZ, 10%    I just need one more project, then
I can say I have 100% of an airplane...