Good comments Ray.

The symptoms of hypoxia manifest themselves in various ways.  Many people have
a tingling in their lips or finger tips.  My only symptom is that I get very
drowsy and unfocused.

Living in the mountains, I am acclimated to higher altitudes and routinely fly
at 11,000 - 14,500' for short periods.  I find my endurance to be less and less
with age.  When I was in my early 20s I could spend the day at 15,000' with
little effect.  Now that I'm in my upper 50s, a lengthy cross country trip at
12,500' without O2 will leave me fatigued, unfocused and not necessarily
processing information optimally upon arrival at destination.  That's not a
good situation.  It takes time to re-oxygenate and recover from an oxygen
deprived condition.  Age and physical condition are big factors in the onset of
symptoms and speed of recovery.

If you have the opportunity to take a flight at higher altitudes with a
co-pilot that is wearing O2, it's a real learning experience in how quickly you
can become really stupid.  There is a huge difference in human performance
between 12,500' and 15,000'.

-Jeff Scott
Los Alamos, NM